Statistics have it that just like in music, less than 1% of people who start out in life by dropping out of school eventually make it to million dollar status in life. What research and motivational books doesnt explain so far is the reason why this is so.
Many young men and women after reading books and biographies of rich men all around the world decide who quit school to become billionaires are motivated to drop their school bags too. Many they continue in this less troden path until they become blatant failures in life without knowing why.
Using Nigeria as a case study, I would mention some of the major less mentioned reasons why most people who drop out of school never made it:
1. They drop into loneliness: What many people dont know is that about 98% of the people who dropped to become billionaires did it in pairs – they had close friends who dropped out with them and started the journey together with them.
a. Bill gates founder of Microsoft had Paul Allen
b.Mark Zuckerberg founder of Facebook had Dustin Moskovits, Eduardo Saverin, Chris Huges, Sean Parker
c. Steve Jobs founder of apple had Steve Wozniak
d. Sergie Brin founder of Google had Larry Pages
And so on. Many Nigerians who drop out of school, attempt to start out alone – this is usually disastrous though a few number of people have succeeded that way.
Here are the few number of people who have succeeded alone:
a. Matt Muttenweg founder of wordpress
b. Seun Osewa founder of Nairaland.
2.They drop into confusion: Not knowing what to do in life to make a living is a big problem. Most people who drop out of school drop into complete confusion because they had no plan before dropping out. The whole path to the future become a complete maze. They never planed what to do after school. Contrary to this approach, billionaires who dropped out of school were already pretty certain on what to be after school. Founder of virgin atlantic airways already owned a newspaper coy by the time he was droping out of school.
3. They drop out of laziness: Most people who fail in life woefully after droping out of school actually dropped out of school as a result of sheer laziness. They couldnt just study hard enough to pass so take the usual excuse that most billionaires around the world dropped out of school to become billionaires. Funny enough, most billionaires who dropped out of school were actually workaholics by the time they were dropping out of school (read my write up on starting the right business). Bill Gates already landed a software production contract with IBM before he said goodbye. Mark Zuckerberg had already built ‘TheFacebook’ before he called it quits.
“When I called my mum and told her i was dropping out of school, she laughed and said she knew I was never going to finish school when she saw the way I worked” -Mark Zuckerberg founder of facebook.
So why quit school if you can still continue.
4. They drop into thorny grounds Most billionaires who dropped out of school had a soft landing. They had rich or average parents who provided some sort of key support for them after they dropped out. Bill Gates had a well to do magistrate as his father and a mother who helped him secure the big contract at IBM. Mark Zuckerberg’s parents supported him with $85,000 loan when he started. Aliku Dangote, had a rich uncle who helped set him up in business and supported him through the early stages.
There are few exceptions to this though, people like steve jobs the founder of apple and Atiku Abubakar, one time vice president of Nigeria actually started from the bottom. But there is something else to look at – they had a conducive economic climate. Things usually go as planned. Software and software don’t get pirated as much. Its easier in their respective countries to find 1 million people who can easily buy your product online for $1 just to test it.
Its far easier to find investors there because of enlightenment. Generally, most people who made it landed on soft grounds.
5. They drop out of school and out of learning Most people who fail after dropping out of school actually dropped out of school and out of studying. The truth is that no one can succeed without self education. Learning new tricks of the trade, under standing the stock market, studying econmics and accounting and so on. Quote me anyday, Self education is priceless.
6. They drop into a non profitable business or idea Before dropping out of school, most people who did, actually had a profitable business that was already making some sort of income or gaining traction. Nairaland had 300 members in its first month. Facebook was already the talk of the town with over 20000 members before Mark Zuckerberg quit. WordPress was already the blogging CMS with a community.
Most people who loose in life after quitting school actually never had a working idea before quiting, they quit then try to work it out – wrong.
So if you are planing to quit school or know any one who is planning to quit using my one simple self-examination question “do i already have a profitable business that will suffer if i continue school?” . If your answer is know, my good friend, its not yet time to quit school. Try to keep running the business while pushing forwared in your academics. Strike a balance between business and study hours and keep moving.
Here is my one simple line advice for anyone who intends to drop out of school. “Dont drop out of school until it is absolutely impossible to continue” Or “dont drop out of school before your monthly business income surpasses your school fees”.
– Source: Brainterm http://brain tem.org/twists/view/124335
Written For http://www.globalruns.com