Man freezes Mom’s body to collect retirement

posted in: News | 0

CNN) — Jon Whiteford had a secret so macabre,
that when a Kentucky sheriff’s deputy showed up
to question him about it, he pulled out a handgun
and killed himself.
About three years ago, he deep-froze the body of
his mother, Faye Whiteford, law officers said.
They don’t think he killed her. She appears to have
died of natural causes at the age of 96 in spring of
2011, Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office said in a
statement Thursday.
Since Jon Whiteford is dead, there are no charges
against him.
But law officers want to know what he can no
longer tell them so they can complete the puzzle
of what happened to Faye Whiteford’s body from
the time of her death until they found her remains
this April — tied up in tarp in the yard of a
ramshackle home.
The picture they have painted so far based on
conversations with witnesses and acquaintances
has the makings of the stuff of a grotesque novel.
Behind the 8-ball
As Faye Whiteford lay bedridden in their home in
Science Hill for the last years of her life, her son
sunk into a financial morass.
He took care of her but was also dependent upon
her Social Security and retirement benefits.
When she died, he didn’t want to lose that income,
the sheriff’s office said. So he concealed her death
and postponed her funeral.
He purchased a freezer where he kept her remains,
the sheriff said. Talking with him about her was a
tough topic.
“We didn’t know she had passed away, and we
were afraid to ask,” Al Fried, one of Jon’s close
friends, told CNN affiliate WLEX.
But it seems the two friends did speak about the
financial implications of her death.
“I guess he was afraid to report that his mom died
because of what I said about the funds
disappearing,” Fried said.
His mother’s retirement checks were not enough
to save Jon Whiteford from getting behind the eight
ball. The family home went into foreclosure.
“He was forced to move out of his home
somewhere around Christmas of 2013,” the
sheriff’s office said.
Whiteford found a house to rent in another county,
but was in disrepair, not fit to live in without some
Law officers believe he took his mother’s body
there. And as the winter was a bitter, it would
remain frozen if left outdoors.
In the meantime, Whiteford moved next door to his
mother’s former home, into the house owned by a
friend who did not live in it.
Inquisitive law officers
Eventually, authorities wondered why there were no
signs of life from his mother, and a fraud
investigation into the Social Security benefits
On March 29 this year, a deputy decided to go
question Jon Whiteford.
Some three weeks after his suicide, police brought
in dogs trained to sniff out human remains, but
they caught no scent of Faye Whiteford’s body.
During the investigation, detectives came across
the property Jon Whiteford had rented and decided
to check it out.
There, a detective found a body tied up in tarp
lying partially under a wooden box at the edge of
the driveway. It was Faye Whiteford’s.
The sheriff’s office is looking for witnesses to
answer many of the questions about what
happened to her that her son would not.

Previous Chapter
Next Chapter

Leave a Reply