Global Sports : Premier League Round-up

posted in: News | 0

Harry Kane scored a hat-trick against Leicester in a thriller at White Hart Lane while Manchester City narrowed the gap on Chelsea to three points.
Kane opened the scoring for Tottenham after just six minutes in their 4-3 win against Leicester when he pounced on a rebound, adding a second goal seven minutes later at White Hart Lane.
Leicester hit back when David Nugent threaded a pass into the box for Jamie Vardy to score and then Wes Morgan planted a firm header for the equaliser in the 50th minute.
Kane, however, claimed his first Premier League hat-trick after Danny Rose was fouled in the Leicester box in the 63rd minute. Jeffrey Schlupp gave away an own goal for the Foxes before a solo effort from Nugent a minute into injury time gave Spurs a nervy finish.
Referee Neil Swarbrick apologised for sending off the wrong man after showing a red card to West Brom’s Gareth McAuley just three minutes into their 3-0 defeat at the Etihad, a result which lifted Manchester City to within three points of leaders Chelsea at the top of the table.
Last defender Craig Dawson was the real culprit, tripping City’s Wilfried Bony as he raced through on goal. Bony later opened the scoring, with Brazil midfielder Fernando doubling City’s lead before half-time. David Silva adding a third in the 77th minute.
Arsenal stayed in touch with the top two with a 2-1 win but had to survive a spirited fightback from Newcastle after going ahead at St James’ Park through two Olivier Giroud goals.
Newcastle got back into the match when a tidy move down the right saw Remy Cabella cross low for Moussa Sissoko to make no mistake to halve the deficit, but Arsenal kept them at bay until the end.
Shane Long reacted quickest to reach a rebound first to score for Southampton as they beat Burnley 2-0 at St Mary’s. Then Jason Shackell compounded Burnley’s misery with an own goal as he tried to clear a cross.
But Saints were dealt a huge blow after the were forced to play most of the match without keeper Fraser Forster when he suffered a knee injury which resulted in him being stretchered from the field before being taken to hospital.
Crystal Palace celebrated a 2-1 victory over Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium after coming from behind.
Mame Diouf put Stoke ahead after a quarter of an hour, but Glenn Murray scored a penalty in reply after Asmir Begovic fouled Yannick Bolassie in the box. Four minutes later, Palace went ahead just before half-time when Murray headed on for Wilfried Zaha to score.
Bafetimbi Gomis scored an 87th-minute goal for Swansea to secure the points against Aston Villa at Villa Park, where there were a few boos from the home fans at half-time after a tame opening period was dictated by the visitors.
West Ham’s Diafra Sakho scored an 89th-minute goal at the Boleyn Ground having already headed just wide once in each half in a game of few chances as they defeated Sunderland 1-0.
Patrick van Aanholt had ten minutes earlier hit a long-distance shot which forced Hammers keeper Adrian to pull off a smart save.

Previous Chapter
Next Chapter

Leave a Reply