I didn’t hear the sound of their vehicles when they arrived. It was very early in the morning. The whiskey I drank in Berlin had woken me up around 3am. I used that opportunity to prepare the goods I would sell the following day. When I finished tying the goods, I wrapped one joint and smoked. I had started smoking. A bad move. One of the lessons of drug was never to get high on the stuff you deal.

After 4am, I thought I heared some kind of noise outside.
We were all in the habit of looking out of our windows if we heard any vehicle sound. Most of the time, it would turn out to be Taxis or private cars but that very morning when I looked through the window, tens of green and white police cars had surrounded the HEIM.
Hundreds of police officers had covered every angle of the HEIM.

My heart skipped and I went into thinking mode.

My mind jumped from one thing to another without getting hold of anything.
I wanted to gather my drugs and threw them out of the window, I knew they would pick it and bring it back to me, so I decided to take my chances.

My brother in Nigeria had called days earlier and said he bought lands for me. I had bought some cars and took them to the shipping yard. I also had some small money that I left in Nigeria before traveling. I had sent one million Naira to my mom to save for me.

Therefore, those Nazi police can take me to prison. even if I spent 4 years there, I would still be richer than many Nigerians who had lived in Germany years before I came.

I went to my door and opened it to look along the passage, two police officers were already standing in front of my door. I didn’t hear their footsteps. They both kitted up like they had come to arrest Osama bin Laden.
” Guten Morgen herr Ebot” (Good morning Mr Ebot) one of them said.

*Those skinheads even knew my name.
Apparently they had come for me. They must have heard how drugs were being distributed in the HEIM*

I answered their greeting and asked what was happening. I already knew but I enjoyed pretending to be a fool whenever I was with the police.

One of them just asked me to go back inside and sit down. I moved backwards and sat on the sofa where I had hidden the drugs.
I obeyed them.
A few minutes later, they entered my room and started searching. The search was going on in the other rooms at the same time except unoccupied ones. Several minutes into the search, they found nothing. They turned everything upside down except the chair I was sitting on. I was deliberately sitting there because that was where I hid the drugs. It was about half kilo of weeds and one kilo of Hashes worth 3000 euro in cost price.

The search went on for several more minutes and when they couldn’t find anything, they asked where I had hidden my drugs, I denied having anything. They didn’t believe it. The search continued.

I had opened my windows when I saw the police cars outside, the cold weather of Germany had surged into my room and within minutes, the smell of the joint I smoked had evaporated. We were in the winter. They had almost concluded their search when one of them asked me to stand up and move to the bed. At that moment, I knew they would find the drugs.
He turned the chair upside down and something made some noise under it; it was the water-proof bag I had used to cover it.
He put his hand in his pocket and brought out a sharp dagger.

It was almost funny. These people had prepared for war should incase they met resistance. They must have thought that we dealt on hard drugs. But then they were some Arabs living in the HEIM and dealing on drugs as well. Maybe they had guns.

The police man tore the base of the chair with the dagger and brought out the drugs. He put them together with my measurement scale on the table and used his walkie talkie to call their leader.
The head of the Kripo ( Kriminal Polizei) came up to my room and saw the drugs on the table. He then called the media lady to come with her video camera.

They took pictures of the drugs and the pictures of me. Then they asked me to stand near the drugs for a picture. I asked them why. One of them said it was to show that they found the drugs with me.

I asked them what was inside the bags on the table, they just looked at me as if I was silly.
I asked them to tell me what it was, one of them said there were drugs. I faked a surprise and asked them what they wanted to do with it. I told them that the bag didn’t belong to them and that they should leave it for the owner.

The Kripo leader explained to me that they were police officers that had come to search for drugs and they found the drugs in my room. He said the drugs were illegal.
As soon as they mentioned that the drugs were illegal, I looked up at the leader and said;
” Das ist nicht meine” ( that is not mine).

I braced my cheeks for a surprise slap from one of them but non came. They were different from the Nigerian police who had slapped me more than once in Nigeria.

They asked me who owned them, I said I didn’t know. I told them that the room didn’t belong to me alone.
There was another man who shared the room with me, I told them.
They asked for his name and I mentioned Sandis, the Camerounian who had stolen my weed in October of the previous year.
They looked on the list of names and rooms they had with them and confirmed that the room belonged to me and one Sandis from Cameroun.

*The authorities had not assigned him a new room officially because he never approached them for it. He only came to the HEIM during the month ends. We had been paid allowances two days earlier and Sandis returned for his money. He had left a day before the invasion.*

the Kripo leader asked where Sandis was, I told them that I saw him last night but I didn’t know where he was. I told them that he slept there sometimes but not all the time. They took notes and after proper procedures, asked me to sign under my name. I told them that I wasn’t going to sign anything without knowing what it was.
They explained that written on the paper, was the things found inside my room and what I said. I signed it and they left with the drugs. They didn’t take me along.

Sandis was the culprit, He was going to pay for stealing my weeds. Never touch the tiger by the tail.

Several people were arrested but due to the fact that we hardly leave drugs in our rooms, only small amounts of weeds were found in their rooms. Not enough to send them to prison. They were taken to the police station and finger-printed.

Jordan was among them. I, together with Johnson was the only Nigerians in HEIM that was not finger-printed. John had gone to his white girlfriend’s house to sleep.
The Yoruba thief, Bola whom I had nicknamed Derico was whisked away to the station too. Some missing items from the Eurospar mall near us had been found in his room.

Chibuzo the tall slim guy from Anambra state was taken to the station too.

When they returned from the police station, they said that I used Juju to confuse Police. Yea, tactical Juju.
”I believe there is a solution to every given problem, you just need to exploit every possible thing”

After the Invasion, everybody was scared to continue business. They were afraid that if they got caught again, they would be send to prison.
Since I was not finger printed, I had no reason to fear.

The smokers had been calling their suppliers who didn’t pick their calls.

They had piled up around the HEIM, blowing whistle to alert us that they needed weed.
Somehow, I got motivated and took drugs from Johnson and went outside, back to the street,
Back to my customers and back to making money.

I was the only one outside for over one week and within those one week, I made triple of what I used to make. I recovered my lost 3000 euros worth of lost drugs.

Previous Chapter
Next Chapter

One Response

  1. Guy dat was close. I admire how u use unfavorable condition to ur advantage.

Leave a Reply